Recent Posts

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Basant Festivities at ISM & More!



Main Building majestically decorated with sparkling Lights

Trip Down Memory Lane:

I had not been keeping good health, and that resulted in not having good mood, and willingness to write the blogs, more so updating few events which have passed through few months ago, but did try to connect with my friends as far I could chew. It was recently, when I called Mr. Suresh Mehta (’62 Mining), wherein we talked on various subjects, one such was there ‘Trip Down Memory Lane’ which I wrote in my blog and has gone live and can be read at:


This blog is in continuation to my earlier blog on Golden Jubilee Celebrations for '62 batch. I recall, during our times, we used to wait for Basant Time, which used to fall in the first week end of the February month, and that practice is still on, what we may call as tradition of hosting this function, and coupling with annual feature of G J Celebrations. I also recall how we used to visit seniors an alumnus’s settled near by Dhanbad area to collect monies to arrange this function, while we were students.

I wonder what is the way, such a great pomp show continues till date, possibly still same or school has included into its budget now? But whatever way it’s been the tradition remains long lived – it’s fabulous and comments received from Goldie’s who have expressed in their own words, marvelous, wonderful experience, great food, overall we all rejoiced and met some of our mates after many decades with nostalgia of school days still afresh in our hearts, showing their family there hostel rooms etc. 

This blog, I am trying to cover some of the festivities, like outdoor and indoor games played at school play grounds etc. along with Basant get together at different metros:

Some of the photos below, one can see how enthusiastically our ladies & Goldie’s from 1962 batch participated including walking around school roads where once we have walked ages ago. Current Students have been a source of encouragement both in giving our ladies a company as if to let them know where their hubbies once placed their footsteps 50 years ago & how school has progressed today.


Ladies on walking spree around ISM Campus
 
Group Photo with Current Students
Kite flying with students watching
Mrs Sheela Singh & Mrs K Sachdev in Action
 

But most importantly few of our Alumni’s were given distinguished Alumni Awards & Basant Samman to make 2012 FESTIVITIES most memorable.

Distinguished Alumni Awards:

1.  S J Sibal ('71 Mining) - Ex- DGMS.
2.  N M Bora (' 74 ISM) - CMD Oil India Ltd.

Basant Samman:

1.     Prof S P Ahuja ( '61 Mining).
2.     Prof Raja V. Ramani ('62 Mining).
3.     Late Prof B K Kejriwal (‘62 Mining) – Mrs Kejriwal received the award.
4.     Mr A R Chetal ('?? Mining).
5.     Mr N C Jha (‘74 Mining) - Ex- CIL Chairman.

Distinguished Alumni Awards:

S J Sibal ('71 Mining) receiving DA Award
N M Bora ('74 Pet.Eng.) - CMD receiving DA Award
Basant Samman:

Prof S P Ahuja receiving Basant Samman
Prof Raja V Ramani receiving Basant Samman
Late Prof B K Kejriwal ‘(62 Mining) - Mrs B K Kejriwal received award
01 - Please tag name

02 - Prof M Jawed receiving award

03 - Please tag name


Mrs & Mr Suresh Mehta, I believe over stayed at ISM after Basant Function, below is a group photo with students on 12 Feb’ 2012.

Group Photo of Mrs & Mr Mehta with Students
I have also got few photographs from different metro’s or so called different chapters, like Delhi, Calcutta, Bombay Hyderabad, Goa etc. and they make this event rosy in their home towns where they are all settled etc.

Delhi Chapter Get Together 06 Nov' 2011
 
04 -1960 Batch Get together at Calcutta on 12 Feb’ 2012

L to R: Mr Dipakar Banerjee, G S Mukerjee, Ramakant Singh, Chitranjan Dass, 

Dr P K Dutta, Biren Banerjee ('47 Mining), L K Bose, J K Dewan, 

J K Parikh, S S Salodkar, Dr S M Kolay, U W Datey , D V Pichamuthu, Mr ?????
05 - 1971 Batch Get together at Calcutta on 12 Feb’ 2012

We are sitting in Asia–Pacific, with very few & still rejoice all the year round whenever we have opportunity between two of our families settled here in Auckland, but more so whenever we get Alumni’s who come here for holiday or otherwise whose children have settled here, that we make the get together with love & affection at our homes & picnic’s outdoors. So for us, we welcome every one, and will make Basant Festivity whenever you plan a holiday here.

Some of those, I have shared with you all here:

  1. Mrs. &  Mr. R P Prashara (’58 Mining), (Chandigarh, India), visited us few years ago.
  2. Mrs. & Mr. R Y Kutumbe ('60 Mining), (Nagpur, India) / Mrs and Mr Piyush Dutta ('60 Mining), (Florida, USA) - 06th Feb' 2011.
  3. Prof J R Kayal & Mrs Kayal ('69 Applied Geophy) , Calcutta, India)- 20th July' 2011.
  4. Mrs. & Mr. Ajay Rohatgi ('68 Pet. Engg), (USA)- 30th July' 2011.
  5. Mrs. & Mr J B Singh ('62 P.Tech), (USA) - 15 Sept' 2011.

Mrs & Mr R P Prashara ('58 Mining)
L to R: Mr R Y Kutumbe, A Talwar, Mr P Banerjee &
 Mr P K Dutta

L to R: A Talwar, Mr R Y Kutumbe & Mr P Banerjee
Picnic at Mission Bay with Mrs and Mr R Y Kutumbe
L to R; A Talwar, Prof J R Kayal & Mr P Banerjee
L to R; A Talwar, Prof J R Kayal & Mr P Banerjee
Picnic at Duck Park with Prof J R Kayal and A Talwar family
L to R: A Talwar with Mr & Mrs Ajoy Rohatgi
L to R: Talwar, Mr J B Singh & Mr P Banerjee, 

Mr Banerjee daughter Mala, 

Mrs Talwar, Mrs Banerjee and Mrs J B Singh
My Thoughts on Name Change:
 
Today, our school has attained new heights, added additional new infrastructure added so many new streams of studies but ISM glory will move on, time will tell whether we are correct in our feelings. As far I know, Ministry has not agreed to name change, which does gives me hope that Government also have same ideas after seeing what name change damage it took place for other places of learning in country and how they have reverted it to its OLD Glory, few years later.

But sometimes it makes me really sad, when I hear or read news from current students that they are looking for a change of its name and tie there affiliation with IIT's etc - and want to leave legacy of ISM behind, we as oldies can hardly swallow. I do get mixed reactions and we can differ in our opinion, but time will speak on its own.
 
I wonder why this esteem institute cannot retain its legacy, just like Royal School of Mines, which now falls under 'Imperial College of Science of Technology' but retains original glory. I would say we could possibly design our name and still keep our identity which is known throughout the world as ISM name is on all big Universities who now want to offer PG studies in their countries & offer now even scholarships for internships, a term never heard in our times. Isn’t it the good work done, by alumni who take painstakingly efforts to see where we are today? Possibly one name does come to my mind is “Indian College / School of Science and Technology" and all wings fall below, like:

Indian School of Mines,
Indian School of Petroleum Engineering,
Indian School of Applied Geology,
Indian School of Applied Geophysics,
Indian School of Mining Machinery,
Indian School of Mechanical Engineering etc.
Indian School of Computer Sciences & so on..

Anyway, that time will tell–this way, I believe our name will still remain & will shine for ever.
  
Now all the festivities are over for me to report for 2011 & 2012, time has come to await for next gala function, may be 75th birthday, Golden Wedding Anniversaries or possibly sharing news about your children achieving distinction or have brought new glory to our mother country etc. So if you like share with us, please do so, we will keep our momentum on going. 

Hot News of the Month: 

Shouryya Ray from Dresden, Germany, from Calcutta  cracks 350Yrs old math puzzle.I hope all must have read or come across great news about, one of our Indian-origin student at the age of 16 yrs, has cracked 350 years old math puzzles, who knows who will be next for some great news:

My Childhood Memories:

I wonder this wonderful & memorable experience will come and go, as rightly said by a poet in a poem which I remember of my schooling days, way back from early sixties, while I was student at Delhi Public School, Mathura Road, New Delhi and I quote: 

“One may come and one may go, but I will go on for ever”, 

The poet has rightly said while standing close to the banks of flowing river, as river flow never stops as long as its course is not stopped by man. I wish I could remember whole poem but second line goes like this, and I quote: 

“While I flow for ever, My ripples shine while water flows its course like a silver screen, and  fruit on trees shines with early day water mist - like silver fruit upon silver tree”.

I believe and hope all our friends enjoy my blog as I enjoy keeping you all connected, with my thoughts as they come to me. Some who could not make it for any reason what so ever to this celebrations like me, my story will still update your missing nostalgia. So relax, enjoy and share your thoughts as they come to you, by placing comments at the bottom of my blog or by writing few words, which go long way to keep my inspiration ON.

Basant of Feb' 2013:

Lastly now ball is in the courts of 1963 batch, and we wish them all the success and that they keep the momentum on–going, keeping in mind, time will not wait for any one, it will just fly out, and we will see them at next “Basant of Feb’ 2013”. 

Let us hope, that we get connected to all who would love to share there happiness & sorrow, and keep sending us emails, by adding few more names from your contact list. Every time you all respond, as you never know, we may have been looking for same person or our friends wanted to be in touch with there old pals – so that we could reach one and all. I always update, my directory as and when I get mails from my mates. My heart is open, if you want to call me day or night or leave a message with your contact details, I will respond you when am back home.

I will pen down here, till new thoughts allow me to back with you.

Arun Talwar (’71 Mining)
31st May’ 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment